Associate Law Professor at Sorbonne University
Special Field of Expertise
A Franco-American lawyer and academic currently working as Associate law professor at Sorbonne University and lecturer of “Criminal Law in a Global Context” at Sciences Po School of Law. Previously he led the Research and Science Department at the International Anti-Corruption Academy (IACA) with a specific focus on Corporate Compliance.
Prof. Breen co-founded and co-heads the Compliance Officer Professional Training Diploma at the French leading Law School Panthéon-Assas. He has been assistant professor for Comparative legal studies and legal globalisation at the College de France.
Since 2019 he is Member of the Working group of the French Conseil français des investisseurs en Afrique (CIAN) on “Commercial intermediaries and compliance”. Furthermore he is also Member of the Experts commission of the Association française des juristes d’entreprise (AFJE) on “Economic sanctions compliance”.
During the first part of his career, Prof. Breen worked as an associate, then as special counsel, at US global law firm Cleary Gottlieb. He has more than 20 years of experience in advising companies, public entities, and citizens on private-public projects in France as well as overseas. He has conducted two anti-corruption monitorships between 2011 and 2018. Public contracts, regulation and prevention of corruption constitute the focus of his research and practice, spurred by the constantly renewed conviction that in these areas, performance is based on high quality and strong ethics.
Formal Education and Career History
- Ph. D. in public law, Univ. Paris South, summa cum laude (2000)
- Attorney at law, Paris Bar, 5th laureate of the Paris Bar School (1995)
- Cleary, Gottlieb LLP, Associate, Paris (1994-1995) and London (2002-2003) offices, then special counsel, Paris office (2005-2007)
- Master in European criminal law and policy, 1994 (Univ. Paris Panthéon-Sorbonne, Univ. Paris South and Univ. Paris-Nanterre)
- Bachelor in law, Univ. Paris Panthéon-Sorbonne, 1992.
- Ecole normale supérieure (ENS Ulm), 1989-1994, 2nd laureate (humanities and social sciences)